Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunset trail

This past weekend a friend from New Mexico came to visit and we decided to go up to Mt. Lemmon for a hike. As promised I applied the Doodologist's tattoo so I would feel like Claire was also there with us.


Hiking with my friends was quite a different experience. They have a very different approach to it. I'm all about planning the trails I'll do, looking at maps and a compass, knowing the elevation change I can expect and the conditions of the trail. They just park somewhere, find a trail and follow it. I had 72Oz of water, 2 cheese sticks, a pear, some bread and a couple of sausages. They had 32Oz of water, combined, and nothing else. Of course I shared my food and we didn't do a super-hard or long trail so it wasn't so bad. Still, despite the fact that both of my friends have hiked before and one actually considers herself a hiker, they were not prepared. They both got a little dehydrated, for obvious reasons, at the end.

The good part about it was having someone to talk to all the way, to have the chance to be plain silly and to have lots of pictures with me in them.




You can guess from the title that the trail we did is called Sunset trail. Very different from the other 2 I have done on Mt. Lemmon. Very rocky, not much tree coverage due to an old fire. The same spectacular views, peace and serenity though. We also found a couple of cute creatures:

Can you see the tiny little Horny Toad? ------------------------->



The lizard posed for us and didn't run away until we took a few pictures of it ;-). We ended up drenched in sweat, tired but with a happy heart.





After the hike we went to a social event that my department has every time the football team plays in house. We first have a scientific discussion (yes, on Saturdays) and then we hang out, eat hotdogs and play with bean bags.

It was actually fun but I'm not willing to give away many of my Saturdays for it :-P. After the tailgating we went for dinner and I completely forgot to take pictures. It really sucks because after dinner I saw my sister who had an impromptu getaway in Tucson. I only hanged out with her for 1 hour or so but it was good, it makes me feel a little less home-sick ;-).

I'm already planning my next hike and it probably won't be a lonely one again but, I don't want to give that away just yet ;-).

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun -- and glad Claire could join you, too! ;) I especially love the photo of the three of you peeking out from behind the tree. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really cool shot indeed, we asked some fellow hikers to take the picture for us ;-) thanks for stopping by Janene :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh love the pictures! And so cool you have Claire on your arm! I need to make a picture with Claire as well. Claire the tattoo I mean haha. I am curious about your next hike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dude!

    I saw the pictures briefly on FB whilst TJ was over visiting, but didn't have time to comment till now.

    Absolutely love that you took doodle me on a hike with you!! Definitely the coolest adventure so far and I think it will be very hard for anyone else to beat!

    You sound like a pro hiker when I read your account of the hike. But you are so right about the water and it is lucky that you had enough to share.

    Excited about the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TJ, you mean you didn't take pictures with the real Claire? tsk tsk tsk!

    @Claire, I'm glad you like the pictures and my adventure with doodle-you. Not so sure about the hike tomorrow though =(

    ReplyDelete